The Atholton High School STEAM Team began in 2014 to promote student awareness and interest in preserving our local environment. Since then, STEAM Team has achieved Green School Status from the Maryland Association of Environmental and Outdoor Education. Throughout these years, STEAM Team has refurbished Atholton's courtyard garden, spearheaded recycling and light-saving initiatives, and partnered with the Robinson Nature Center to transform our community into an eco-friendly environment.
Some of our other ongoing projects include:
- Construction and maintenance of vertical wall garden pallet
- Promotion of outdoor education by building outdoor classrooms
- Recognition of Maryland's native plant species with creation of school garden
- Outdoor Waste Control Events
- Ink Cartridge Recycling Program
- Plastic Bag Recycling Initiative
- Maintaining Information Bulletin Board
- Recycling Awareness Posters
- Construction and installation of bird houses
Through collaboration with Atholton's administration, STEAM Team is approved to begin constructing a composting bin and a second outdoor classroom. Additionally, our two-year campaign and application for water bottle fillers within the school is approved and will be installed in the summer of 2018.
We meet in Mrs. Schwab's room (G201) every Wednesday and volunteer at Robinson Nature Center trips monthly. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for weekly updates.
AHS STEAM Team Logo Design by Omar Agha